Tuesday, October 22, 2013

list, list, list...

random fact:  i have started this post over about 6 times now.  i just can't quite find the words i'm looking for.  so let's just skip my words and move on to His.

Psalm 111:10
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments;  His praise endures forever."

ever have to make a choice, and you have no idea what to do?  yeah, i'm right there today.  i'm a pen and paper kinda gal, so i make lists of pros and cons, i form plans about how each path could be carried out, i write out every random thought having to do with said choice and i mull over the possible outcomes that would follow; i try to think long term, i attempt to sort out short term, and in the end i'm left with a dozen pieces of notebook paper filled with neat handwriting.  and no real answers.

why?  are weighing options and looking at the future bad ways to plan?  well, no.  but really, when i've finished with my lists and reasons, i put them aside and i ask my blessed heavenly Father for His wisdom and direction.

He has often shown me in my life that the logical isn't always His best.  He has pointed out that the option with the most pros and the least cons doesn't always come with the most eternal benefits and growth.  sometimes, He wants me on the path that "doesn't make sense" so that i trust Him more and let go of my selfish pride that wants to be seen as wise.

so at the end of all my lists, it's really His call.  i stack my papers neatly and set them off to the side.  i go back to my knees again, and i pray again.  and then, as the verse says, i pick myself up and do what i know i'm supposed to be doing (His commandments) and trust that He will come through on that promise and give me "a good understanding".

i go back to folding the laundry and cooking the next meal, because He has called me to be a hard worker in my home (Proverbs 31).  i continue teaching my children to work hard and to obey with joy because He has told me to train them up (Proverbs 22:6).  i return to the everyday tasks that require me to implement the joy, peace, patience, love, gentleness, & self-control that His Spirit imparts to me every day (Galatians 5:22-23).

so i'm going to mark todays date next to that verse and go back to that basket of clothes.  someday i will be able to look back and see how He made clear the muddled mess in my notebook and head. and i will praise Him even more than i am today because He proves Himself good and faithful again and again.

"... His praise endures forever."



3 comments:

  1. "logical isn't always His best"
    Love that, and I am right there with you right now Sarah. But it IS always great to look back with a clearer hindsight as to what God was doing and working out. I can't imagine going through life without the knowledge that "He's got this." ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN to your post--and to Janna's comment too. As I'm getting older, I'm learning (slowly) to not get overwhelmed with logistics, details, plans, etc, (even though I enjoy planning) but trying to do those necessary to-do's and decisions in light of God's sovereignty, and seeking His will--even with the little things--not that I always succeed. But I'm finding peace in taking anything (and everything) to the Lord. Thanks for sharing how the Lord's working...you're a sweet sister and friend in my life. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your blog and I love your honest thoughts! I love this post--I'm definitely a back and forth planner looking at the options over and over again, but in the end it really boils down to that simplicity, doing what God has called us to do day in and day out, trusting Him, loving His word, being obedient. And sometimes the path He leads us down may not make the most sense to the common eye. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

so glad you stopped by! i love to know who's been visiting, so leave a comment, if you would please!