Sunday, March 10, 2013

...tune my heart to sing Thy grace...

started making a list this afternoon.
a list of hymns that i want to teach to my little boys.
because someday they will be men and God will use these words in their lives.

my boys learn verses at home and at church, they hear praise songs around the house and in the car, and they know all the Sunday school songs forwards and backwards (trust me, some of the songs are sung "backwards" & it's their preferred version.). so, you might ask, 
why hymns?

2 reasons


first, i heard the testimony of an atheist once.  
he was raised in a Bible believing home, attended church and learned verses.  and when he became an adult, he turned his back to all the things he had been taught, pushing those things from his mind.  yet, he said, "i couldn't forget the songs."

music is an incredible learning tool.  it has a way of ingraining words in our minds.  there are many songs i learned as a child and had very little idea what they ment.  i memorized words i didn't know the definition of (sometimes i didn't even know the correct way to pronounce them).  
yet, as i grew, God used them.  

my second reason, would be the richness of these lyrics!
i think that some praise songs are good, but many are wishy-washy, written to appeal to the masses that call themselves "Christian", yet they would disagree or deny many things that God put in the Word.  many of these hymns were written by men and women with great conviction that ALL of the Word was Truth and Life.  and the songs they wrote, reflected that conviction.   

i mean, to use music to ingrain into their little heads truths, such as...

"Jesus paid it all, All to Him i owe; 
Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow."1

"Mercy there was great, and grace was free; Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty, At Calvary."2

"O precious is the flow that makes me white as snow;
No other found i know, Nothing but the blood of Jesus."3

simple statements.  
and every one of them pointing to Jesus Christ and His work in redemption.  reinforcing the gospel that i find myself sharing with them so often.  

and for me, so often my God has comforted me in times of trouble with these songs.  when my brain is weary from trials, lack of sleep, or a long day, i have found myself sitting, softly singing these lyrics for no reason other than they popped into my head.  

"O to grace how great a debtor daily i'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, Bind my wand'ring heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, i feel it, Prone to leave the God i love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it; Seal it for Thy courts above."4


so, that is why, even in the plethora of music that surrounds them, 
i will teach my sons hymns.
for learning, 
for comfort, 
to point them to Him.


hymns quoted
1 Jesus Paid It All, Elvina M. Hall & John T. Grape; 2 At Calvary, William R. Newell & Daniel B. Towner;
 3 Nothing But the Blood, Robert Lowry; 4 Come, Thou Fount, Robert Robinson & John Wyeth



2 comments:

  1. I just read an interesting article about today's worship scene, and how the songs are created much simpler in melody/words so that everyone can sing and thus have an "experience." While there are some newer songs I do love, I'm with you, nothing quite beats the old hymns--definitely great songs to be teaching your little men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! When my boys were little I would illustrate (in my lame attempt) the phrases and words to help them remember and understand. It's amazing what their little minds can take in and process.

    ReplyDelete

so glad you stopped by! i love to know who's been visiting, so leave a comment, if you would please!