Thursday, June 14, 2012

thoughts on...

(i don't know the source of this beautiful art, but as soon as i saw it, my heart began to sing...
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!)


---love---
Deuteronomy 6:5
"You shall love the Lord you God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."

read this post today - i want to love extravagantly

found it convicting and encouraging.  to see such a beautiful picture of love in the Word was a great reminder to examine how i act on my love for my Savior.  i wonder if Mary questioned her actions before she went through with it.  "what will others think of me?  how will this effect me financially?"  or did she simply think "will this please my God?"  what would i think?  instinct tells me i would worry about the former thoughts.  but i want to train myself to go strait to the latter.  i want to love Him extravagantly and trust Him to provide anything i need, just as He promised He would.

---work---
Proverbs 14:1
"The wise woman builds her house,
   But the foolish tears it down with her own hands."

as with most things i read in the Bible, there seems to be no neutral ground here.  your day will produce one of two options.


build = to establish, increase, or strengthen.  to mold, form, or create.


tear down = to pull down; destroy; demolish.  to disparage or discredit. 

what does my actions (or lack there of) produce in a day?  if i don't fold that load of laundry, will it tear down my family (because i'm being lazy and not doing the work i need to do to make my family run smoothly), or will it build my family up (because i spend that time training my boys in other areas like dishes, reading, praying, etc.)?  i need to look at little more closely at why i do what i do and remember to think of it in the same light that God does.  it's good or bad.  nothing neutral. 

---whining---
Philippians 2:14
"Do all things without grumbling or disputing;"

had a great encouraging talk with a friend that i haven't seen in... almost 5 years?  since the last time we really talked, we have both had kids and are working as stay at home mommies, trying to train up these little ones light of the scriptures.  her children are close to my boys ages and i learned that they do many more chores and work than mine do.  she shared much wisdom about getting your kids into a routine and accomplishing things around the house without complaining (which i have been trying for, but struggling to teach them).  she reminded me that "whining is grumbling, and that's sin."  

while my boys will (eventually) do the things i ask them to, they are quite whiny and slow through the entire task.  her gentle comment impressed on my heart that i need to correct that.  i want them to obey with a happy heart, but even if they aren't "happy" about it, there is no place for sin.  and so, the training has commenced on "obey the first time, obey quickly, & obey without grumbling or disputing."  

it's sometimes hard to bring up the bar, to explain that a new standard is expected and then to enforce that standard.  but like everything else i need to do as a parent, i try to remember it in light of...

Proverbs 29:17  "Correct your son, and he will give you comfort; He will also delight your soul."

and as i correct their tone of voice & actions, i have been working harder to keep my voice level & gentle, and only ask them once if i expect to only have to say it once.  

Proverbs 15:1 (a verse that seems to apply to every lesson i've been learning lately)
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger."

p.s.  what verse(s) has God brought into your life lately?  anything that seems to keep popping up?  i would love to hear any encouraging/convicting scripture you've found useful!




1 comment:

  1. I remember reading somewhere that "homemaking is about taking care of people" and that has always stuck with me--how best can I serve my family today? And I think with that as a guideline no two days will ever be the same, there might be days that the laundry becomes a priority and days when snuggling on the couch with books is of utmost importance. But in the end when the kids are grown I can guarantee it won't be the neglected chores I regret but all those missed moments that I thought I was too busy doing something else.

    Love all the verses you shared, and yes on the whining . . . we all need that reminder from time to time! (even *ahem* the mommy) ;o)

    ReplyDelete

so glad you stopped by! i love to know who's been visiting, so leave a comment, if you would please!