Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Complication

So here is the complication:

My father raised a work-a-holic.
I develop cancer and undergo treatment.
I fight it for a few weeks.
I awake feeling great and go to work.
A few hours later, I feel so crummy that I want to nap.
I fight within myself to determine if I should stay or I should go.
If I stay there will be trouble; if I go there will be double.
(Not really, that just comes from a song)
Productivity falls either way.
When I do return home, I feel exhausted.
Evening arrives and I retire to bed.
Chemo does not allow me to fall asleep easily.
I arise from my rest to make breakfast burritos and write this note.
Still tired, I determine to return to the mattress.
I finally fall asleep.
I awake in the morning feeling great and go to work.
A few hours later, I feel so crummy that want to nap.
I fight within myself to determine if I should stay or I should go.
If I stay there will be trouble; if I go there will be double.
(Not really, that just comes from a song)
Productivity falls either way.
When I do return home, I feel exhausted.
Evening arrives and I retire to bed.
Chemo does not allow me to fall asleep easily.
I arise from my rest to eat cereal and write this note.
Still tired, I determine to return to the mattress.
I finally fall asleep.
I awake in the morning feeling great and go to work.
A few hours later, I feel so crummy that want to nap.


Moral of the story:

Don’t allow your children become work-a-holics.
Either that, or don’t ramble while you can’t sleep.

6 comments:

  1. We are proud your efforts to "work"! To be good at husband, father, son & employee is work. You serve the Lord well when you do a great job in all of these. Most men never learn to enjoy work like you do. Jesus said, "My yoke is easy, and my load is light." The extra load that you now must carry will be lighter as you carry it for Him. God bless your day. We are all lifting with you and Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Above all else....take care of yourself. Give yourself permission to get the rest you need...when you need it....for however long you need it! Your boss already knows you have a strong work ethic, you don't have to prove that now.

    Two quotes at the end of today's devotional.

    "No matter how heavy the burden, daily strength is given, so I expect we need not give ourselves any concern as to what the outcome will be. We must simply go forward." Annie Armstrong

    "Nothing can reach us, from any source in earth or hell, no matter how evil, which God cannot turn to His own redemptive purpose. Let us be glad that the way is not a game of chance--it is a way appointed for God;s eternal glory and our final good." Elisabeth Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any amount of work you do is a great stride when you're on chemo . . . no work is little, no effort small. Many prayers!

    Psalm 62

    Side note: breakfast burritos sound awesome . . . ummmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I can really relate to this! We are wired the same...praying that you feel at liberty to stay home ALL you need and are able to sleep well too. Hang in there! Sending hugs and love..and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think about you guys often, especially as Sarah and I are due about the same time. I'm extremely impressed with your strength, Sarah, as you take care of your Moose, little boy and husband. I am amazed at the fact that you all remain so positive! I pray that you continue to 'hang in there'. Make sure you let us know if there's anything any of us can do for you.
    Love you all--
    Cousin Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nick,
    I hope things are going well for you and your family. I just wanted to write and let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers with the cancer you are going through. I was also recently diagnosed with lymphoma and have been doing chemo treatments every three weeks. My next treatment is tomorrow. We are praying for you and may God comfort you and give you the strength to get through this. One scripture passage that always comes to my mind is, Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
    Take care and stay strong!!!
    God Bless,
    Jeff, Michelle, and Emma Sutter

    ReplyDelete

so glad you stopped by! i love to know who's been visiting, so leave a comment, if you would please!